Saturday, May 8, 2010

Our Little Garden

In February, we finally started our first little garden. We had a billion pieces of wood we took down from our porch that we used to build our above ground boxes. I have to say I was very proud of myself using the big saw and drill. I made the square box in the dirt and the small box with the white flowers, Glen made the big rectangle one. I love them. As of now we have only eaten the spinach and cilantro out of our garden, but we're starting to have red tomatoes, and our squash is growing. The only thing successful in the square box has been the cilantro, everything else started to grow and then went to a stand still. I don't know what the deal is. I love going outside and looking at the new blossoms and water the plants. I don't know if it will last in the heat though. As you can tell by the after pictures, things are already dieing. We're still experimenting and hopefully over the years we'll have good success. We planted red bell peppers, carrots, beats, spinach, squash, cucumbers, green onions, cilantro, a strawberry plant, tomatoes in the topsy turvy.


Before picture in February.
After picture in May.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Love your gardens! I wish the pigs hadn't eaten mine. This fall we are going to make box gardens like yours with a picket fence around them so no pigs can break into it and eat them all up. I love gardening. You are such a good little homemaker!